The Sperm Whale...
Today's charter was one to remember... Skipper, Alan told the guest that he hadn't seen a Sperm Whale in about 5 years. "We were on our way out to a well known fishing/bird watching area roughly 23/24 miles to the south west of Cape Point called "The Canyon" when an adult Sperm Whale decided to show itself right next to our boat" - He quickly put the vessel into neutral and watched as this magnificent animal put on a show for the guests.
Our guide, Cliffie Dorse, and the guests managed to get some really amazing pictures of this Sperm Whale hyperventilating before embarking on a 45 minute dive into the depth of these pelagic sea grounds.
Sperm Whale Facts:
- Sperm Whale's significant name is: Physeter macrocephalus.
- Long grey/black skin, block shaped head that can take up to 1/3 of the whales body.
- Can reach up to 16-20 meters in length.
- Can weigh up to 41,000kgs.
- Largest heads, largest brains and loudest recorded sound of any animal on earth.
- Their diet consists of mainly squid, fish, octopus, rays and megamouth sharks.